- Tablers & Book Sellers
- NYC Resources
- Past Archive of NYC Book Fairs
PRESS ADVISORY FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 1, 2014
The NYC Anarchist Book Fair, now in its 8th year, to be held Saturday, May 17, 2014; The NYC Anarchist Film & Art Festivals are also scheduled to take place during the Book Fair.
What: The 8th Annual New York City Anarchist Book Fair
When: Book Fair and Art Festival, speakers, panels, skillshares, and workshops take place Saturday, May 17, 2014; Film Festival (In Honor of Brad Will), Sun., May 18 and Time TBA via website
Where: Judson Memorial Church, 55 Washington Square South, New York, NY
Now in its eighth year, the New York City Anarchist Book Fair is one of the primer socio-political-cultural events of its kind in North America. New York City's anarchist community will host a weekend festival and gathering of community building and cooperation which includes:
- A day-long Book Fair, with a variety of authors, speakers, panel discussions, skillshares, and workshops;
- An interactive and participatory Art Festival with installations, music, performance, dance, and video art; and
- Community Film Festival for local and global dissent;
All devoted to building a free society through mutual aid yet most importantly without the state and capitalism.
The New York City Anarchist Book Fair is always free and open to the public. It is for activists to network and connect with each other and for anyone who wishes to explore the vibrant and active world of anarchist organizing, action, and experiences of past and present. The Book Fair is also open for children, with child care and creative activities for children provided. Large and small book vendors will be present that displays the power of the DIY attitude, collective organizing from local to international independent publishers that will fill visitor's minds with self liberation and freedom through anarchist principals and values.
Authors, panel discussions, skillshares, and workshops will cover a variety of anarchist experiences from the past to the present that respond to socio-economic struggles, community building, mental health, and the continued corporatization of everyday life, struggles for life and livelihood within low-income communities, women and by people of color in the U.S. and around the world, which can provide new models of anti-authoritarian organizing through mutual aid and cooperation. Join us Saturday evening to hear keynote speaker Ashanti Alston, former Black Panther and revolutionary anarchist
We call for all anarchist publishers, zinesters, film/videographers, artists, all members of the global anarchist community, and the general public to collaborate with us. For further updates and to get in touch with the Book Fair collective, please visit our website at www.anarchistbookfair.net and/or email us at: nycabf [at] riseup.net. For book vendors please contact nycabf-tables [at] riseup.net, and for those who wish to provide mutual aid by volunteering day of please contact our volunteer email at nycabf-volunteer [at] riseup.net.
We hope to see you there!
Much Love, The NYC Anarchist Book Fair Collective
The NYC Anarchist Book Fair in the news and on the Web:
- "Anarchy in the Clemente at book fair and film fest" by Jefferson Siegal. www.thevillager.com (4/11/2013)
- "Anarchist Book Fair Returns Tomorrow, As Police Well Know" by Samantha Balaban. www.nytimes.com (4/5/2013)
- "The First Annual New York City Anarchist Bookfair - Report, Obituary & Interview" by Daniel. ORGANISE! for revolutionary anarchism, Winter 2007-2008
- "The First Ever New York Anarchist Bookfair!" New York Rat, issue 8
- "Book Fair Unites Anarchists. In Spirit, Anyway." by Colin Moynihan. New York Times, 416/07
- "reportback on nyc anarchist bookfair weekend!" by m (a member of NYC Icarus). Icarus Project's blog, 4/16/07
For inquiries, contact nycabf [at] riseup.net